Companies relocate themselves and their employees for a variety of reasons including; to acquire more space, to reduce operating costs, to update facilities, to move closer to their major market, to establish a presence in a new market and to consolidate into fewer facilities. In this current economic downturn it is more than likely to be about reducing operating costs.
Regardless of the reason for the relocation, some or all of the employees may be asked to relocate.
Relocation has become a major problem for companies today. Employees don’t necessarily want to move, they have spouses who have to work, elderly parents and children in education.
Currently keywords consistently being searched on the Internet by the employee and the company alike include the following:
– Employee relocation rights for relocation of employment when the business/company relocates.
– Forced employment relocation. Relocation employment law
– What is reasonable when an employee is asked to relocate?
– Relocation and redundancy statutory requirements
– Can my employee move my place of work?
– Notice of employee relocation
– Advice on relocating
– Relocation packages
One useful source for this information is Linex Legal www.linexlegal.com/index.php an online information portal providing information about the latest developments in law and the impact of new legislation on business
– Mobility Clauses – redundancy implications (June 2008)
Directgov – Relocation of Work
Working Rights – Relocation
ACAS -Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service
Labour Relations Agency (Northern Ireland) -LRA
Citizens Advice Bureau – search for your local CAB
Business Link (for good business support on HR matters)
Bridgefast Management Ltd – specialist firm that manages the sale of the home for the elderly home owner in order to relinquish the stress and challenges they face to realize the equity in the home.