- It is not rigidly defined in the sense that it is computed from any central value viz. Mean, Median, Mode etc. and thereby it can produce different results.
- It violates the algebraic principle by ignoring the + and signs while calculating the deviations of the different items from the central value of a series.
- It is not capable of further algebraic treatment.
- It is affected much by the fluctuations in sampling.
- It is difficult to calculate when the actual value of an average comes out in fraction, or recurring figure for that in such a case it requires the use of the shortcut method which involves a cumbersome formula subject to adjustment in different cases.
- It is not suitable for sociological study.