Most of the companies hire employees only after the candidates prove that the information that they have furnished while recruitment is accurate. This is achieved by background screening process which is done by a third party agency or by the organization itself using people lookup services. Educate yourself of the background verification process and various stages and phases that may be involved in the proceedings.
• Addresses: The different addresses in which the person has been living since birth is checked for accuracy of address and the period of stay. This is crucial in knowing the checking the crime records in the local police stations.
• Academic records: Checking if all the academic certificates and mark sheets provided by the candidates are genuine. The universities verify these documents against their records.
• Professional background: The offer letters, appointment orders, promotions and hike papers, transfer documents, experience and relieving letters (if the person has left the job), conduct certificates, if any are checked for legitimacy.
• Criminal records: The complete criminal records of the person in all the countries that he/she has lived in are checked.
• Lawsuits and court proceedings: The lawsuits filed by the prospective employee as well as those filed against him are checked. Moreover, the bankruptcies, judgments, liens, jail terms or probations, if any, etc are also verified. It is important for the candidate to be candid about the data representation.
• Reference checks: The candidate (in case of pre-employment check) or employee (post-employment check) should furnish at least two of his personal and professional references and their complete details which will also be verified.
• Drug test / medical checkup: Some organizations require their prospective employees to undergo drug test or complete medical checkup to ensure proper fitness of the person. This is also used to identify any health disorders in the person, which may keep him away from work for long periods.
• Personal information verification: The familial details and marriage and/or divorce details furnished by the person is thoroughly checked for accuracy.