Mesothelioma is one of the cancers that is very difficult to treat, due to late detection and very poor prognosis. There are numerous procedures for the treatment of mesothelioma and medical experts are working hard in order to detect this cancer earlier. However, there are factors that greatly affect the course treatment of mesothelioma and prognosis of the patient with mesothelioma. These factors includes but is not limited to the overall treatment strategy, the disease histology, the location and of course the stage, and as well as the patient’s health condition and assessment status.
There are two types of therapeutic strategies for treatment of mesothelioma, the palliative treatment and the curative treatment. The palliative treatment controls the symptoms but not the disease, while curative treatment completely cures the disease at hand. Mesothelioma has no cure as of today but these treatments act as life-extending actions.
Treatment for Mesothelioma
· this Treatment for Mesothelioma engages the physical removal or operative action to eliminate cancer
· It eliminates the spread of malignancy
· some surgery applicable to mesothelioma uses palliative treatment, just to treat the symptoms
· some apply curative treatment by radical surgery and its goal is to remove as much as malignancy as possible
· It is actually performed by a trained personnel such as a thoracic surgeon, who is the expert in the chest area
· Thoracotomy and video assisted thoracic surgery are the two major techniques
· this kind of Treatment for Mesothelioma uses drugs and other chemical means that kills cancer cells
· it is a systematic treatment because the drug is initiated to the patient’s bloodstream to kill cancer cells
· it is the most frequently installed therapeutic modality for mesothelioma
· it is used more often, because most patients are diagnosed when they are already on the latter stage of the disease
· it is considered the best way to control the symptoms
· this kind of Treatment for Mesothelioma uses ionizing radiation to kill cancer cells and to reduce the size of the tumors
· it is used as a non-ionizing agent, wherein the radiation can be the source of the excitation of the atomic matter, but can actually change its formation
· it can be utilized as part of multimodal treatment protocol
· it can make use of a palliative manner to diminish pain related to the disease
Due to this disease, it is highly advised to seek out a professional medical provider because they are the experts who know about the disease and treatment of mesothelioma.