Mesothelioma is a cancer of the serous membrane called mesothelium. This mesothelium surrounds vital organs of one’s body. It is mainly caused by inhalation of the fibers of asbestos. It could take decades before one can manifest its signs and symptoms. Patients suffering from mesothelioma are not aware that it is already cancer and that it is already severe since Mesothelioma Symptoms resemble symptoms of less serious illnesses. It is also because the symptoms of mesothelioma can only appear 20 to 50 years after exposure to asbestos. Mesothelioma Symptoms do not appear immediately at the point that the cancer itself is present so it may be hard to diagnose in the early stages.
The typical symptom of a patient suffering from mesothelioma is shortness of breath because of accumulation of fluid in the chest wall or otherwise called as pleural effusion. This is because the capacity of the lungs to expand during breathing is decreased due to the fluid amassing in the walls of the chest, thereby making the breathing capacity of a patient shorter.
There are different Mesothelioma Symptoms depending on the cancer type, for example, in peritoneal type of Mesothelioma, Symptoms include:
· cachexia (significant loss of appetite with loss of weight and atrophy)
· ascites (accumulation of fluid in the abdominal cavity)
· severe pain and swelling of the abdominal region due to solid tumor masses found in the abdomen
· bowel obstruction which is often rare and occurs at the late stage of the cancer
· anemia because of the too much effort must exerted by the human heart due to the obstructed part (small or large intestine) were oxygen is deficiently needed
· fever which is common in cancer patients but tumor cells of mesothelioma can produce fever-causing agents
In other patients, Mesothelioma Symptoms includes (especially in most severe cases with growth of tumor masses, which can metastasize in the other parts of the body):
· pneumothorax (otherwise known as the collapsing of the lung)
· thrombophlebitis (formation of blood clots in blood vessels especially in veins
· Disseminated Intravascular Coagulation (sever bleeding of the other body parts and organs)
· Jaundice (a condition in which eyes and skin of patients become yellow due to accumulation of bilirubin
Life is meaningful especially if the family is healthy. Knowing what asbestos can do to your health is a step to its prevention. If you have the symptoms mentioned above then these may be Mesothelioma Symptoms already so consult your physician immediately.