he holiday season is just around the corner which means it’s only a matter of weeks before the party invitations go out. Before you accept those invitations, remember that you can ruin your seasonal celebrations by overindulging in alcohol. Drinking too much can lead to shame, embarrassment, and a DUI arrest if you get behind the wheel and drive.
So before you pop the cork on the bubbly, think about how you can celebrate without getting drunk, and possibly getting arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol. Here are 5 tips for you to consider:
1. Select a designated driver. Yep, you hear it all the time, but that’s because it can work if you work it. This is the most popular recommendation when drinking and driving are involved. A designated driver is someone who does not drink and drives home those who have been drinking.
For each soire you plan to attend, find a person whom you trust to take on this responsibility on your behalf. And to share the load, offer to abstain from drinking one evening and serve as the designated driver yourself.
2. Call a cab. A taxi can take you to and from a celebration, whether it’s at a private home or a hotel. In some cases, taxi cab drivers may prove to be more reliable than a designated driver.
3. Reserve a hotel room. If you are going to an office party, a holiday ball, or dinner at a fancy restaurant, chances are you’ll want to have a few drinks. Since many holiday events are in commercial areas, find a nearby hotel and stay there overnight.
Make transportation arrangements to take you to the hotel from the event, and from the hotel to your home. In this way, you will not have to get behind the wheel the night you have been drinking and the day after when you are recovering.
4. Rent a “party bus”. Limousine companies operate buses or coaches set up to transport at least 10 people to predetermined destinations of their choice. Party-goers are able to enjoy themselves without having to worry about driving, since a chauffeur takes care of that task.
5. Just say no. A sure-fire way of not getting a DUI is to avoid drinking altogether. In this way, you can drive yourself back home.
What to do when you overindulge
If you decide to drink at your holiday celebration and get behind the wheel, you’re placing yourself and other motorists in jeopardy. In the unfortunate event that you are arrested for drunk driving, you will need to find an experienced DUI attorney. You’ll find the information and resources you’ll need to resolve the situation.
A DUI is a serious criminal charge and you will need an attorney whose primary practice is defending DUI clients. A DUI lawyer will discuss the legal options you have under your state DUI laws and will, with your help, prepare a legal defense to prevent you from being convicted of the charge.
In some instances, attorneys can successfully negotiate an agreement with the prosecutor to reduce the original DUI charge. Further, a DUI attorney can advise you on getting your driving privileges restored. Your driver’s license is suspended immediately after a DUI arrest.
The holiday season only comes once a year so take advantage of it and have fun. Just be careful how you enjoy yourself since a DUI arrest is not the type of holiday surprise that you want to receive.