Malignant mesothelioma is the cancer of the mesothelium. Mesothelium is the protective lining that covers most of the internal organs of the body. The most common type is pleural mesothelioma. Pleural mesothelioma is the cancer of the linings of the lungs. We also have peritoneal mesothelioma, endothelial mesothelioma, e.t.c.
Just like any cancer, treatment of malignant mesothelioma depends on location of the cancer, age of the patients, extent of the cancer and overall health status of the mesothelioma patient.
Among the various ways of treatment are:
1) Mesothelioma Surgery: the lining of the affected organ is removed. This method is best recommended when used in combination with others.
2) Mesothelioma Radiation: this involves directing radiations such as UV light to affected linings.
3) Mesothelium Immunotherapy: This involves boosting the immune system against the cancer cells using some substances like Bacillus Calmette- Guerin (BCG), interleukin, e.t.c.
4) Mesothelium Chemotherapy: Here, some chemicals are used to treat mesothelium. Examples of these chemicals are Cisplatin, Raltitrexed, pemetrexed, folate, vitamin B12, e.t.c.
5) Administration of Lovastatin. Lovastatin significantly lowers the cholesterol level of the body.
6) Early detections is very important in the effective treatment and recovery of mesothelioma. This also applies
to most cancer cases.
7)Photodynamic treatment where a photosensitive medication is activated using a laser. This is done during the surgical removal of cancerous tissues.
8) Finally, engage the services of a mesothelioma lawyer. The mesotheliomal lawyers can help you source for funds from the government. The patient can then use this money to go for adequate treatment or prognosis.