This is a cancer usually caused by exposure to asbestos. This disease can take 15-40 years or more before it appears, and it often begins in the lungs or the abdomen. Victims only average about one year of life after definite diagnosis. If you are suffering from this disease, then the best way to discover your legal rights and compensation in a mesothelioma case is to find a good mesothelioma lawyer.
If you were working on jobs where you inhaled asbestos particles and exposed to asbestos dusts, you have a high risk of developing this type of cancer. It makes you a potential victim of this disease. Each year, it is estimated that over 1.3 million people are exposed to asbestos in their working environment. Places where people may be exposed due to their work are in railroads, building construction, factory, shipyard industries, automotive among others. Also, it is known that when you wash the clothes of someone who is working with asbestos firm, you may be at risk for developing mesothelioma too.
From statistical analyses involving several legal cases, the jobs that have the highest risk of developing this type of cancer are: boilermakers, mason, painters, plumber, boiler operators, automotive mechanics, crane operators, insulators, pipe fitters, metallurgists, shipyard workers, cement plant workers, etc. If you are working with any of these firms, then you are advised to find a good lawyer to help fight for your legal rights, if you have developed the disease.
How You Can Confirm Mesothelioma
There are different ways to help you confirm this type of cancer. You or your family can contact a lawyer after definite diagnosis by a qualified medial doctor:
1. Symptoms: include shortness of breath, chest pain and weight loss.
2. First step diagnosis: chest X-ray and CT scan.
3. Confirmation: biopsy and microscopic examination.
How You Can Find a Mesothelioma Lawyer
There are several ways you or your family can find good lawyer:
1. You can find a low-cost assistance through local Legal Aid Office, if you can not afford an attorney.
2. You can contact a local or state Bar Association for a list of lawyers who can handle mesothelioma cases.
3. You can ask a personal attorney or talk to a doctor for a referral for a reputable attorney who can handle this type of legal cases.
If you finally find a good lawyer, here are some questions you should ask
1. You should know how committed the lawyer is in handling this type of case.
2. You should know how experienced your lawyer is in representing mesothelioma patients.
3. Ask about your lawyer’s success ration.
4. You must ask how many of these cases were settled, and how many of them went to trial.
5. Make sure your lawyer is the one that will personally handle your case, because some attorneys refer cases to other attorneys in exchange of a fee.
According to a California based firm, in the United States, the compensation of this type of lawsuit case can be up to 9.5 million US dollars. However, every case differs and the results are dependent on the facts of each case and the law which applies in the venue where the case is filed.