Did you know that according to the U.S Surgeon General radon gas is the second leading cause of lung cancer related deaths each year in the United States?
What is Radon Gas? Radon is a natural occurring gas that comes from the breakdown of Uranium in the ground. It is colorless and odorless and the only way to know if it is in your home is to test for it. Radon can be found all over the country. Your home may be highly infected with Radon and your neighbor may have low levels.
There are many ways to test your home for radon. There are test kits you can buy at your local hardware that range between fifty and a hundred dollars. There are also professionals who will come and test your home for you these test usually cost between a hundred and twenty five and two hundred dollars. Having a professional test is much more accurate provided you hired someone who is certified to test for Radon Gas, they have gone through training on the proper way to set up the testing equipment and have more reliable testing equipment than what is offered at your local hardware.
Radon is measured in Pico Currie Liters. The Environmental Protection Agency says that if your home is 4 Pico Currie Liters or higher you should have the Radon remediated. I have heard the analogy that for every Pico Currie Liter of Radon in your home it is the equivalent of smoking a pack and a half of cigarettes a day.
If your home is found to have high levels of Radon Gas don’t panic, It can be remediated. A good remediation system costs between twelve hundred and twenty five hundred dollars. This type of system should be installed by a professional. I would also recommend that you have a separate company do your testing and remediation so there is no conflict of interest.
Radon Gas is a silent killer that doesn’t have to be. With proper testing and remediation; you can rid your family’s risks from the effects of this deadly gas. I would say it’s a good idea to have a professional Radon test performed anytime you buy a new home along with your home inspection, and every two years afterwards.
Remember the only way to know if your home is at risk for Radon Gas is to test for it. This is one of those risks that unfortunately most people don’t know about until it is too late. In the last few years the government has tried to educate people on the harmful effects of Radon Gas, However most people still don’t know about it or if they do don’t take it serious until it has affected them or someone they know. I would recommend that it should be made mandatory that when someone purchases a home that they are given a pamphlet on Radon Gas and have to sign something just like they do with lead based paint. The only way we can protect our family and friends is to educate them about Radon Gas, and I urge all of you to at least mention Radon gas to someone. Who knows you may just save a life.